Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chantix Days Seventeen-Eighteen

Today is day 18 of the program and day 3 of not smoking. I've slept very poorly for the last couple of nights, awakening regularly and having trouble getting back to sleep. Last night I awakened at 1:30 AM, laid there for an hour, and finally got up at about 2:30. I went back to bed after an hour and was able to get back to sleep. I've also been terribly thirsty at night.

Yesterday, the urges weren't too bad, especially since I was around the house all day. Unfortunately, today is a different story. The urges are pretty regular and a bit stronger than they have been, though short in duration. This is crunch time. I've read where the 3rd and 4th day are among the hardest - that may well be the case.

As for the Chantix, I do believe that it's been invaluable. It allowed me to taper down over a couple of weeks (yes, I know it was only supposed to be one) so the withdrawal that I'm having now is likely easier.

I know this is going to be a tough day, so far it's been the toughest and tomorrow may be tougher still. Thankfully, I haven't lost my resolve. This can't last forever, and I'm confident that I can overcome this.

See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Debbie Holt said...

I am also on Chantix and it is the best thing i have ever found. I have been smoking for 40 years, 2-3 packs a day, started when i was 16 it was a cool thing to do back then. I am on my 10th day of being smoke free. It is not a piece of cake, the urges are still there but i look at it as a death, i even buried my cigarette pack. Think of someone you loved very much but can no longer see them, feel them, smell them or touch them.. no matter HOW BAD you want to. It is just impossible. i had trouble sleeping like you but unsure if it was the chantix because i am a night nurse and have been for years so my days and nights are mixed up but doctor ordered sleeping medication to help. I also want to GAIN weight. I am a small petite woman. I know put this one is the history books. "A WOMAN WHO WANTS TO GAIN WEIGHT?" Just hang in there. Take one minute at a time. WE CAN DO IT..

Dale Weeks said...

10 days is pretty is pretty much past the worst part, good for you Debbie!

Yes, I miss it. Your analogy of burying a dear friend is a good one. To take that analogy one step further, it's better than a dear friend burying you.

I'm only 4 days into being smoke free, and it's hard. I know each day will become a little easier. At this point, distance is our friend; the more of it we put between ourselves and the smokes, the better off we'll be.

Thanks so much for reading and writing. We will both beat this!

Anonymous said...

i'm proof it works - over 1 year and almost no cravings left . . .
and yet i still support obama!

Dale Weeks said...

Liberalism is far more pernicious than smoking ever could be. Life is full of bad habits and one of the easiest ones to break is continuing to vote for Democrats.

Best of luck curing your affliction.

Anonymous said...

so what pill do i take?

Debbie said...

Well, I'm 16 days smoke free after 40 years of smoking. I have not cheated at all, which suprises me. i did all the other times i tried to quit. I am on Chantix. Yes i still want one at LEAST once a day but the urge is short lived i just grab a piece of candy or celery and peanut butter. How is everyone else doing?

Debbie said...

Hi Dale, hope you dont think i was thinking of one of my LIVING friends. LOL.. I think of one that has already passed on. I can not see them, hug them, smell or touch them ever again.. No matter how bad i want to. My little sister is also trying to quit, she is on the patches.