Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chantix Days One and Two

This was never intended to be a personal blog. Gawd, I hate people who feel the need to document their daily lives, somehow under the delusion that anyone really cares (they don't). That said, I'm going to share just a little bit of my campaign to quit smoking. I'm not going to preach, or go off about its "evils" or social unacceptability; this is a personal choice brought about by personal issues. If you choose to smoke, go for it, you'll not hear a fire and brimstone sermon from me; "born again" smokers are a most annoying lot.

Some background, if I may. Two years ago I began having seizures and, in the summer of '08, I had a stroke. After a period of therapy, I came most of the way back, but still have issues that prevent me from working. I take a handful of meds in the morning as well as the evening; I'm a walking talking poster-boy for the pharmaceutical industry.

Even given some deficiencies left over from the stroke, I would consider myself a fairly smart guy, but even smart guys do not-so-smart things, at times. My not-so-smart thing was to continue to smoke, even givn my serious health issues.

Over the years, I've tried nicotine replacement, with moderate, yet inevitably inadequate results. Approaching the problem in it's basic form is to admit that nicotine is a drug, and smoking is a drug habit.

I did some research on Chantix, which is not a nicotine replacement drug, but one that affects the receptors in the brain that make nicotine a pleasurable experience. I read a lot of pros and cons, as well as user reviews that ranged from "miracle drug!" to "it gave me a permanent psychosis!", well whatever. The reviews were overwhelmingly positive, but many cautioned that "you must be committed". Committed, I am.

Yesterday, I picked up the prescription. Though it said to begin in the morning, feeling that there is no time like the present, I took one about 3:00 PM. During the first week, you are instructed to smoke whenever you feel inclined. I must say that "the urge" was much less intense last night, but I do understand that this may well be the placebo effect since most drugs take time to begin working. I slept well, none of the vivid dreams that were forewarned (alas!).

This morning, "the urge" seems to still lack it's intensity. It may be working, and it may be the effects of my wanting it to work. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are on the Non Smoke Wagon! Keep up the good work!

I Slam Islam

Anonymous said...

hey buddy rain of lead here from 2.0
I have been smoke free for a year and I know what you are doing
the physical craving is only for a few days as the nicotine leaves your body after that it is 100%
MENTAL, you really have to want
to not smoke. even now a year later
I can smell cig smoke and really
want one but then after a minute that will pass
anyway good fortune to you
what you are doing is a tough thing