Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reality TV Hits New Low

I've never been much of a fan of the phenomenon known as "Reality TV", in fact I despise it. I have enough reality already, thank you. I watch TV for entertainment and some escapism, but to each one's own. It seems to fulfill Andy Warhol's prophesy that "in the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes" and, much like Warhol himself, It's largely tasteless, devoid of talent and preys upon our voyeuristic tendencies.

But this redefines "sick", and I am not referring to Ms. Fawcett's illness. Even in our over-saturated media culture, some things should be kept personal and handled with dignity. This is one of those things.

I have no doubt that, now that the barrier has been crossed, other celebrities will follow suit and it will eventually become a "genre".

I sincerely regret Ms. Fawcett's imminent demise, but I wish that she hadn't forever taken the boundaries of good taste with her.

No comments: