Monday, August 22, 2011

The Wisdom of Youth?

I heard a guy on Fox singing the praises of the Libyan revolution saying that it’s going to be different because they’re “young people” and they’re social media savvy. Yeah, right. The thugs in London were young, social media savvy little monsters too, weren’t they? As for they being young; the Iranian revolution was spearheaded by young people – the American embassy was taken over by college students.

This constant reliance on he wisdom of young people has always mystified me. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve become more wise with age. When I was young, I did some pretty stupid crap and I see some pretty stupid crap being done now by young people all over the world.

Please spare me this fascination with the wisdom of youth.

No comments: