Sunday, November 08, 2009

40+ Million Uninsured?

Even if the much bantered-about “40+million uninsured Americans” figure is correct (which I doubt), that’s 13% of the population. That leaves us with 87% of the population who are insured.

The Bill that was just passed requires (under penalty of law) that everyone purchase some sort of health insurance. This indicates to me that a healthy portion of that 13% are young, healthy individuals who do not consider health insurance a priority, whether they can afford it or not. If they simply could not afford it, why would they make it a law that they buy it?

It just seems to me that dealing with the 13% would have been a lot easier, and cheaper, than scrapping the current system, screwing the 87%, and making life miserable for 100%.

Simple things like allowing health insurance companies to go market between states and reform of malpractice laws would have been small, incremental steps that would have helped.

As for the 13%, let’s see who they are and find out their situation before we scrap the whole system on their behalf.

I sincerely believe that this is part of the “never let a good crisis go to waste” mentality of this administration; they have turned a “problem” into a “CRISIS!!” in order to nationalize a very large portion of our economy. Even in full view of this naked power grab, they dare to still bristle at the word “socialism”.

If this is not a classic example of socialism, what is it?

No comments: